Sunday, September 27, 2020

Project-Zero: Rear end test fitments.

Decided t throw the differential and drive shafts into the car.  They’re needed to be able to install the rear brake hubs, rotors and brakes.

  • Off-the-shelf spacers suck - The spacers I bought from McMaster-Carr (M12x15mm) are just a bit too long. They bind up when attempting to install the differential.  I had been packing out the space with M12 washers. I was stupid and should have just bought a 2ft section of  1” OD .25” wall aluminum tube and ripped it down to size with the bandsaw.
  • Hub orientation - The hubs carriers have a flat spot on along one edge.  They should go toward the back of the car.
  • The axels are handed - The longer of the two axels goes on the passenger side of the car.  The axel nuts are left hand thread on the left side of the car and right hand thread on the right side of the car.
  • I need to clean the internal splines on the hub - They’re rough and do not slide nicely onto the axel splines.  I should scrub them out with some soft of steel/brass brush to clean up any surface rust and shit.
  • Once installed, the hubs and axels will install and remove as one piece, until’s going to be a shit show.
  • The axel nuts require a 41mm Socket - I have ordered a 41mm deep impact socket. A1-5/8" socket would also work.
  • Once the hubs go on, they're staying on - Because the GBS kit does not use stub-axles once the hubs are on, removing the axle shafts becomes a HUGE pain directly in the ass for serviceability.

This is where I realized that the axels are slightly different lengths.

Hub carrier and brake caliper bracket installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.